Reference access

The University Library's primary role is to support the learning and research activity of Anglia Ruskin students and staff. However, we may be able to give access to visitors for research purposes to consult specific materials that are not available from the public library. We may also be able to offer access to use the library for quiet private study at Chelmsford and Peterborough only (at Cambridge the demand for space means this is not available). There are times we are very busy when we will refuse access to prioritise use by our students.

You will need to apply in person showing photo ID, proof of age and address, completing the Membership form. Applications can only be accepted during staffed hours. We will also need a recent photograph provided digitally for your library card. Cards can only be requested Monday-Friday. They take up to a week to produce, and may take longer at busier periods during the academic year. There is a cost of £5.00 for a library card (and for any replacement cards).

E-resources for non-ARU members

A limited number of our e-resources can be accessed by members of the public (with reference access to the Library) from the catalogue terminals located throughout the library buildings. These resources cannot be accessed in this way from other devices or networks.

The catalogue terminals show a link E-Resources for non-ARU members which give further instructions for the service.

List of resources available for "walk-in" (i.e. non-ARU) access

Non-university students

On an exceptional basis we will allow access to students studying for a university-entry level qualification (A levels, International Baccalaureate, BTEC or Advanced Diploma) in order to use materials that are not available elsewhere. This requires a letter of introduction from your school or college setting out the materials that you wish to access.

Private language school students will not be allowed into our libraries and we cannot allow access to anyone under 18 unless they are supervised by a responsible adult.

School and college visits

We are happy to receive Group Visits and these can be arranged by contacting our University's Outreach and Recruitment service at