Library Charges and Fines
We charge fines for late return of items so that a person who borrows an item from the library does not keep it indefinitely, preventing other users from having access to it.
Items will only become late if they are wanted by another person, been on loan for 365 days, or your library account has expired.
Printing and copying
You are automatically allocated a printing account. You can use this account to print, scan and copy items in the libraries.
If you lose or damage an item you will be charged for a replacement. If a CD/DVD/Book or Music Score is overdue for more than 40 days it will be considered lost and you will be charged. If a laptop is overdue for more than 24 hours it will be considered lost and you will be charged. If a Temporary Access Card is overdue for more than 3 days it will be considered lost and you will be charged.
For details of how to apply see our membership page.
For details of who is eligible for Reference Access see https://libweb.anglia.ac.uk/others/public_services.htm.
|Standard loans and 70 day loans||25p per day|
|Recalled items and 7 day loans||50p per day|
|4 hour loans||50p per hour or part of an hour|
|Laptop loans||£5 per hour or part of an hour|
|Temporary access cards||25p per hour or part of an hour|
Note: the maximum fine for an individual item is £10.00 for each period overdue.
Printing and copying
|A4||A3||Colour A4||Colour A3|
Lost Books/CDs/DVDs/Music Scores
You will be charged for the replacement cost of the item + £5.00 fee to cover labels, covering and work involved in replacing the item. If you later return the item you will be charged the overdue fines + £5.00 administration fee, but not the cost of the item. After 56 days the replacement cost is not refundable unless it is out-of-print item, as we will have ordered a replacement or equivalent.
If you lose or damage a laptop you will be charged £834 for its replacement with an additional administration charge of £5. If you later return the laptop you will be charged the overdue fines + £5.00 administration fee, but not the cost of the laptop. Lost laptops have to be returned via a staff desk as the laptop machine will not accept the return of lost laptops.
Lost Temporary Access to the Library Cards
We provide students and staff temporary access cards to cover for occasionally forgetting their ID cards, if they are lost or unreturned you will charged £10 for its replacement. If a temporary card is overdue for more than 3 days it will be considered lost and you will be charged. The cost of lost temporary cards is not refundable as we will have ordered a replacement once the card becomes lost.
£35.00 per year for membership.
£5.00 for a library access card.
- Cash - via library self-service machines or Helpdesk
- Cheque - via Helpdesk or post - made payable to 'Anglia Ruskin University'
- Debit/credit cards - via library self-service machine, Helpdesk or by phone
- Online payment – by logging in to your account, and selecting 'fines and fees'
Printing, Scanning and CopyingBy:
- Cash via money loaders
- Debit/credit cards - via money loaders or web payment
What if you are unable to return items?
If you are experiencing problems in renewing or returning your borrowed items please contact us.
Fines may be waived when you have mitigating reasons such as serious illness, bereavement or a family / personal crisis. The reason needs to be confirmed by your Student Advisor.
What happens if you don't pay or return the item?
Further loans will not be possible while you have outstanding charges or overdue items on your library account.
- Check your emails for receipts, monthly summary statement and courtesy notices for changes to the date items are due to be returned.
- You can check your loans and you can renew online via My Account on the library website
- Items are renewed automatically where possible but if items are wanted by another person, been on loan for 365 days, are an interlibrary loan or your library account is expiring it will not be possible to renew them.
- It is your responsibility to ensure that loans are returned on time.